Friday, 9 October 2026

Ever Onward like a Bar-Tailed Godwit

 

9th October 2026

Two days after 1,096 days

 

Shabbat Shalom dear friends, Shabbat Shalom from our home to yours.

 

There were many memorial gatherings for the 7th of October, including the peoples memorial in Tel Aviv’s Park haYarkon and another right here in Motza, but we were honoured to be invited by Dr Mike Evans to an exceptional gathering in Davidson Plaza, beneath the walls of the Temple Mount, with Al-Aqsa above us, surrounded by the love of more than 1,000 Christian leaders from over 170 countries. It was an extraordinary experience. Among those honoured by the Friends of Zion Foundation, led by the indomitable Dr Mike Evans, were Yaniv, who received a bravery award for saving the Flydubai flight from Dr Evans, and one of the FOZ staff members who had been on that plane, as well as former hostages, each one a miracle in their own right.

 

I have no doubt you remember Itamar Shapira and the horrific videos of his skeletal body, digging his own grave 100 feet underground. There he stood before us: handsome, physically healthy, and full of determination. “I will take pain and turn it to purpose.” Words of strength, words of an Israeli. Agam Berger, still unsmiling, played her violin. Bar Kuperstein stood with his grandfather, a Shoah Survivor and his father, Tal, sat in the audience in his wheelchair. If you remember Tal was severely injured in an accident but vowed to stand to greet Bar when he came home. Each of them had a story of almost superhuman resilience. And then there was Sagui Dekel-Chen. During his captivity, Sagui had written songs, scratching them onto the wall of his tunnel. But on this occasion, he chose to sing a different song, one that had helped him survive. He sat at the piano, cleared his throat and began, in a broken voice, to sing the Beatles’ In My Life. My tears fell without stopping. In front of me, I saw Pamela Claman wiping away her tears as did our friend Pastor Mike Atkins, and then I realised that everyone around us was feeling his pain. It was as though, for those few minutes, his cracked voice helped us to understand just a little of what he had endured.

 

Throughout the ceremony, Dr Mike stood beside these brave survivors, offering his support. Sylvan Adams, the Canadian philanthropist and proud Jew, spoke about the work of FOZ and the Jewish fight against hatred. Then Bishop Robert Stearns, founder of Eagles’ Wings and a staunch advocate for Israel, stood to sing Hatikva. In all my years of attending events, I have never heard our anthem sung with such clarity, such strength and such conviction.

 

This song, part of which I sent you on Wednesday, was a poem written by Dr Mike and transformed into a beautiful song. https://youtu.be/Az9n4X5w72o?si=t7uAt-BNk6Pgtulk

 

Yet another year of painful memories, yet another year in which we don’t understand what and how it happened and until there is a national inquiry we never will. Oh, and I forgot to tell you that, as I had predicted, the Muezzin above us put the loudspeakers on full volume several times during the ceremony but every time he tried to drown out the ceremony Dr Mike got everyone to cheer very loudly, and I mean

VERY LOUDLY, and the interference stopped!!!

 

Before writing to you, I always read the newspapers and add to my list of things I want to share. This morning, I read that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have launched inquiries into how a man reportedly known for extremist views became a Flydubai co-pilot despite previous concerns. Serious questions must also be asked of our own Transport Minister, Miri Regev. Warnings about aviation security shortcomings had been raised, yet responsibility was transferred to her ministry without, reportedly, authority needed to carry it out properly. Regev says intelligence checks on foreign crews belong to the Mossad, not her ministry despite receiving funding for that purpose. So, who was responsible for ensuring these safeguards were in place? After October 7, we know only too well the terrible price of ignored warnings. We must establish exactly what went wrong and who must answer for it.

 

There are many places and people who give succour to soldiers and their families who suffer trauma from this ghastly war, not just the 7th of October. One way is surfing! Surfing not only connects to nature and freedom; it requires concentration and an escape from the reality of life. One does not need all one’s limbs to surf, one doesn’t need an adonis body, one just has to want to feel the freedom of the sea, the air and the escape. Surfing for Sanity.

 

Listening to the news on the radio, I heard that South African jurist Navi Pillay has won the 2026 Nobel Peace Prize. Pillay chaired the UN Commission of Inquiry that concluded Israel had committed genocide in Gaza — a charge Israel vehemently rejects. War is horrific, and civilian suffering is real, but genocide is a grave legal accusation, not a word to be bandied around lightly. I am so tired of this relentless misrepresentation, so tired of those who seem to forget, or choose to ignore, what Hamas did on October 7th or the bombardment of Israel from Iran. Do they really believe that history began the day Israel responded?

 

Our wonderful Ira, mother of Sheli, is one of only eleven women, all volunteers, chosen to fly to Westchester County to speak before various groups. I proudly contacted my friend Sari, because knowing the Bedford community as I do, I was sure that Ira would not only be appearing there but would be well cared for. Of course, Sari immediately made enquiries around her friends and the wonderful Temple Sha’areh Tikva community and, wait for it, of course one of Ira’s hostesses is Sari’s best friend! If you live in the vicinity of Bedford, check to see where they are speaking and give Ira a hug from me.

 

Yesterday two girlfriends, Merav and Ora, came to have coffee in our coffee shop in “Bet Halutzei ha Or” which translates as House of the Pioneers of Light, right here next to our building. Of course, I introduced them to Yisrael, Haya and Tzila, of whom I have written many times, then, after a delicious lunch, we did a quick tour of the beautiful building which served, for many years of the Convalescent Home for the Histadrut, the Union which took care of the workers of Israel. I was so happy to see that most of rooms, each more beautiful than the previous, were full with sessions for people with PTSD including men, which is a huge advance since they find it hard to reach out for help. Usually it is the wives of, or women soldiers, rather than the male soldiers or first responders themselves.

 

This week the weather was much kinder, softer. The searing heat of the summer sun is quietly abating and the beginnings of autumn are apparent. Waking early one catches the brilliant sunrise reflecting scarlet on the clouds above the horizon, turning Jerusalem a fabulous golden colour in the distance. I love to sit and watch the crimson turn to a soft pink as the sun suddenly climbs over the horizon, radiating light. The birds begin to sing and the tiny sunbirds remember that they have a sweet drink waiting in our feeders. The gentler heat allows the double hibiscus opposite my chair, to give an incredible peach coloured display and maybe this weather will stay long enough to give my second crop of apples a chance to ripen before winter. Both Ora and Merav decided that we live in “Gan Eden” the Garden of Eden, it is so peaceful. I agree

 

Our Friday routine is underway. Zvi is at his parliament, a group of men of differing political views who are convinced that they are solving all the problems of Israel and the world. I often think that if only governments around the world, especially but not only ours could sit around a table, enjoy each other’s company, allow everyone to state his views, what a different world it would be.

 

I went to see Rachel and the girls, Yosef is staying over Shabbat at his fiancée’s parent’s home but I got to hug the girls and heard a brilliant speech about what education should be and how teachers should consider each child’s potential and troubles. I would choose her for Minister of Education any day. Of course it meant that I drove past my favourite view of the amazing patchwork, mosaic that is Jerusalem.

 

I’m now musing over the last week and trying to think of music that reflects the emotions that deeply affected me.

 

Uzi Hitman didn’t write complex, over emotional songs, he wrote straight from the heart simple tunes that had more power, more truth in them than any other. This one is called I was Born for Peace. I love it. https://youtu.be/192t-KvtK2M?si=0iJQ1-u7F0jTNfP4

 

Arik Einstein wrote a beautiful song all about our fears for our children when they leave our nests to fly in the big wide world. I rather like this very simple family rendition. Oof Gozal, Fly my Chick. https://youtu.be/CwMB1NhPRLE?si=NxDowAmFn9FDSmSN  I want to dedicate this to my incredible, beautiful grandson Yosef who will marry very soon. He doesn’t call me Safta, He calls me “My Safta”

 

I think you may have guessed the final song. It isn’t in Hebrew and it isn’t new, but for me it will always represent the resilience and beauty of Sagui Dekel Chen. In My Life by the Beatles. https://youtu.be/8zV6etKD3Ps?si=iSuyAy-xDPVqobAE

 

I wish you a Shabbat Shalom. Shalom is hello, goodbye, au revoir, bonjour, adieu, but above all it means peace. Peace, peace of mind. As I learned that chilly evening by the Southern Wall of the Temple Mount, we, the Jews, the Israelis, we are not alone. As Dr Mike proclaimed true Christians are with us, beside us, holding us. Helping us to be proud of what we are, stand up straight and never make excuses for your birthright.

 

Sending you all my love from our veranda

Sheila

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment